Current:Home > ScamsJudge Orders Dakota Access Pipeline Spill Response Plan, with Tribe’s Input -VisionFunds
Judge Orders Dakota Access Pipeline Spill Response Plan, with Tribe’s Input
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:55:18
Six months after oil began flowing through the Dakota Access Pipeline, a federal judge has ordered the pipeline’s owner to develop a final spill response plan for the section that crosses beneath the Missouri River half a mile upstream of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s reservation—and to work with the tribe to write the plan.
The judge also directed the company, Energy Transfer Partners LP, to commission an independent audit of its own prior risk analysis and to produce bi-monthly reports of any repairs or incidents occurring at Lake Oahe, the site of the contested river crossing that was the focal point of months of anti-pipeline protests that ended earlier this year.
Monday’s ruling, issued on the heels of the Keystone oil spill that leaked an estimated 5,000 barrels or 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota last month, gives the tribe new hope that the threat they say the pipeline poses to their drinking water will be addressed.
“To the extent everyone assumed that this was all settled and the pipeline was going to continue operating without a hitch, those assumptions, it turned out, were wrong,” said Jan Hasselman of Earthjustice, an attorney representing the Standing Rock tribe. “The door is open a crack to revisit these questions depending on what the audit finds.”
Energy Transfer Partners declined to comment on the ruling. “I am happy to confirm that the Dakota Access Pipeline has been safely operating since early this summer, however, beyond that I will decline to comment on issues related to current or pending legal matters,” Lisa Dillinger, a spokesperson for the company, said.
In his ruling, U.S. District Judge James Boasberg mentioned the recent Keystone Pipeline spill as cause for concern.
“Although the court is not suggesting that a similar leak is imminent at Lake Oahe, the fact remains that there is an inherent risk with any pipeline,” Boasberg wrote.
Hasselman said the Keystone spill likely influenced the ruling. “I have to imagine that the court doesn’t want a DAPL [Dakota Access Pipeline] spill on its watch,” he said.
Hasselman and the tribe previously sought to shut down the Dakota Access Pipeline while the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completes a court-ordered re-assessment of its prior environmental analysis of the entire pipeline, which carries crude oil 1,170 miles from North Dakota to Illinois.
Boasberg ruled in October that pipeline operations could continue until the ongoing assessment was complete, a process the Army Corps says it aims to finish in April.
Though the tribe’s request to temporarily halt the flow of oil was denied, the tribe also requested a final emergency response plan written with the tribe’s involvement and an independent risk assessment.
Energy Transfer Partners has already produced at least two draft emergency response plans for a potential spill at Lake Oahe. The company has also conducted a risk assessment for the crossing, but it did not included Standing Rock tribal officials or seek the opinion of independent experts in either process.
Hasselman said the tribe will continue to push for safeguards against a spill.
“The tribe hasn’t wavered in its opposition to this project, and they will keep fighting until the threat is addressed,” he said.
Boasberg ordered that the emergency response plan and audit be completed by April 1.
veryGood! (67)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Golden State Warriors to host 2025 NBA All-Star Game at Chase Center
- Shohei Ohtani among seven to get qualifying offers, 169 free agents hit the market
- 'Dancing With the Stars' to honor Taylor Swift with a night of 'celebration'
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Iowa to pay $10 million to siblings of adopted teen girl who died of starvation in 2017
- The Supreme Court takes up a case that again tests the limits of gun rights
- Florida dentist convicted of murder in 2014 slaying of his ex-brother-in-law, a law professor
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- NCAA Div. I women's soccer tournament: Bracket, schedule, seeds for 2023 championship
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Likely human skull found in Halloween section of Florida thrift store
- Australia’s Albanese calls for free and unimpeded trade with China on his visit to Beijing
- WeWork seeks bankruptcy protection, a stunning fall for a firm once valued at close to $50 billion
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Backstage with the Fugees: Pras on his hip-hop legacy as he awaits sentencing in conspiracy case
- Mexico’s Zapatista rebel movement says it is dissolving its ‘autonomous municipalities’
- Australian central bank lifts benchmark cash rate to 4.35% with 13th hike
Recommendation
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Dozens indicted on Georgia racketeering charges related to ‘Stop Cop City’ movement appear in court
2 killed in LA after gun thrown out of window leads to police chase
New measures to curb migration to Germany agreed by Chancellor Scholz and state governors
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
A 17-year-old boy wanted in the killing of a passenger resting on a Seattle bus turns himself in
Golden State Warriors to host 2025 NBA All-Star Game at Chase Center
Michigan football served notice of potential disciplinary action from Big Ten